SFC (Safe Food for Canadians) Licencing came into effect January 15 2019 for all fresh fruit and vegetable businesses, including growers and harvesters who:
- Grade, package/repackage or label
- Treat (e.g fumigate, ethylene treatment)
- Minimally process (e.g., core,schred, fresh-cut)
- package and label in the field, if FFV will not be subsequently manfactured, processed, treated, preserved or graded by a licence holder in anothe province or territory
- export, if any export certificate is required
Starting January 15 2020 SFC licence is required at the time of importation. If you already have a licence, please report the licence number to your broker. It will become mandatory to include license number in Customs Clearance declarations for your goods starting January 2020.
If you currently do not have a licence, you can apply for one at CFIA PORTAL It takes 15 business days and there are several requirements that need to be met in order to avoid delays in obtaining the licence. Please consult the requirements here: Tips for a smooth Safe Food for Canadians licence application